Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The American Workplace....?

After working "out there" for a number of years, and finding myself working for another "funky" company, it causes me to wonder about the American workplace, and about where we're headed as a nation. I went from a greedy company just recently, a mortgage company, to a company that lacks wisdom and basic integrity towards people, a heating and air conditioning company.

Both companies are "burning" people and burning their bridges as far as clients, so that their futures are not secure. You wonder what they are thinking.

When I was at the mortgage company, I was supposed to call past clients seeking to do business with them again, and came across many who had been burned by the company and slammed the phone down on me. I got the feeling that the loan officers were greedily attempting to get people to refinance in a way that would make money for them, but would put the homeowner in worse debt and a worse position financially.

At the heating and air conditioning company, since telemarketing is no longer paying off, customers are more scarce yet the company is being careless with the customers they get. Consultants who go out to people's homes to assess the need for a new furnace will blow off an appointment for a golf game. I have been put in a position where I am supposed to call the potential client to explain why the consultant can't make it. I have come to realize that the company lacks wisdom and integrity, and find it hard to work for them. I am weary of looking for a company that has these qualities.

The last time a consultant called in to say he couldn't make an appointment because of a golf game, he said it was "for his church." This is another problem. So many people who are unethical or foolish in the American workplace are Christians.

The heating and air conditioning company also just fired a young woman who was the only young person working there. They have some funky liking for older people, it seems. They have this 74 year old retiree working for them, who clocks in and sits and talks and eats from his lunch box, and does all sorts of things besides work during his 7 hour day.

They allow this for those they like. But for this young one, they let her go because she wasn't "producing" within the first couple of weeks. They clearly discriminated against her, yet there are no laws to protect her against getting fired. She was let go by one lady who has all the power, a lady who clearly favors the elderly. It's a funky company that pays people not to work. There's another telemarketer, a lady in her 70's who hardly produces, but continues on there and gets paid.

I came in there from another telemarketing job and produced big-time, so I don't have to worry about why they kept me on. Then they made me a supervisor, with limited power.

The reason Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and all the other terrorists are so confident when they condemn us and plot against us is that they sit there and watch our demise. They see that our day is coming. They see that we are rotting out from the inside. They see our corruption, and that are "Karma" is coming. I'm sorry, but that's the way it looks to me, and I don't see how we can avoid it because Americans proudly defy the truth. If only Americans would turn and repent and humble themselves. If only Christians would humble themselves and seek God's face, and turn from their wicked ways. Then the evil that is brewing would be averted.

Can anyone think of an analogy? The terrorists look at us as a group and see that we are weakening on the inside and wait for the opportunity to attack, to take advantage? Is there an analogy in the animal kingdom?

4 comments:

Bike Bubba said...

Sounds like a great opportunity for hardworking entrepreneurs.

Bill Graver said...

I think there are a lot of parallels between our country and the Roman Empire. Just like Rome, we're crumbling from witihin.

Makes me sad whenever I think about it.

Gabrielle Eden said...

You're right, Bike. Good time for godly entrepreneurs. I know, Bill, we depend on our culture, and we will suffer with it to a large degree.

Gabrielle Eden said...

Bill, I was thinking about it. That analogy making us like Rome. Does it fit exactly? We didn't start out like Rome. Rome was always pagan, I believe, while we started out in a covenant relationship with God, being founded by Christians and on Christian principles. We're really more like Israel, aren't we?