Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Don't Take The Truth For Granted, Cont.

I got the sermon notes from Sunday's sermon. The pastor, Walter G. Johnson, who gave the sermon is in his 80s and sharp as a tack. Here is an excerpt:

As many of you know, Josh McDowell is a prolific Christian author and lecturer on family and youth topics.

I quote him from a current publication of his:

"Our churched young people are adopting distorted beliefs about God, Christ and His Word, and these beliefs are directly attributing to our kids making wrong moral choices."

Let me share 4 statistics from him which should surprise you if not shock you.

"70% of our churched youth don't believe that there is an absolute moral truth.

58% of our churched youth believe all faiths teach equally valid truths.

63% of our churched youth don't believe Jesus is the Son of the one true God.

68% of our churched youth don't believe that the third person of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit, is a real entity."

I don't know what kinds of churches those churched youth attend but I can tell you one thing, they clearly don't know their Bibles.

A long time ago we quit asking, "Is the world round or flat?"

A long time ago we quit asking, "Can man fly?"

A long time ago we quit asking, "Do you suppose we will ever put a man on the moon?"

It is obvious that other kinds of questions continue to be asked. Many of those persistent questions deal with God. And according to Josh McDowell, an awful lot of youth as well as adults come up with wrong answers to those questions.

This morning I want to address just a few of those persistent questions about God.


These facts, apparently gathered through polling, are staggering. As I said in my other post, I tend to take for granted the truth that I have been given.

I also don't know what to think about these statistics because you also hear statistics about the large numbers who believe in the biblical stories and in the resurrection.

No comments: