Wednesday, October 17, 2007

For Lea...

Just to let you know I don't think I will be going to the movie Into The Wild and why. I see it playing at our local "artsy" theater, a theater known for films that just go beyond the boundaries of what a person can stomach sometimes, and that it's an "R" rated film and that it's by Sean Penn. That tells me a lot. Penn has starred in a lot of B grade films with a lot of violence and I don't anticipate a lot of good from him. An R rating on a film with the kind of content that the book had promises some heavy subject matter that I anticipate to be depressing. I actually only read a third of the book and didn't want to continue because the protagonist bothered me. He is not a person whose mind I want to explore. I anticipate that seeing his story in film is going to have an even greater impact than the book, which left me feeling uncomfortable.

I contemplated going to the film last night but thought, "nah!" Just thought you should know.

3 comments:

Lea said...

Hi Gabrielle,

I have been so busy at work and stuff I haven't visited your blog for a while. The movie has almost no violence, except for a scene in which the main character gets beaten up. It was a really good movie.

Wondering what turned you off about the main character. When I heard stories about the movie on the radio and on TV I thought he was some kind of idiot for going off to Alaska unprepared, but I have to admit I got to like him in the movie.

Have to admit the ending was kinda depressing.

Take care,
Lea

Gabrielle Eden said...

Thanks for letting me know and for responding. Maybe I will see it after all. It does intrigue me because of the travel.

I am surprised to see you write, because I installed a sitemeter and it says that no one has visited and I am wondering if it isn't working. Weird. Maybe God is telling me to knock off the monitoring.

Gab

Gabrielle Eden said...

Oh, to answer your question, what turned me off.

I got bogged down by the reality of this person who was searching and lost, but never really found what he was looking for, and here his story is being told by someone who does not really have a spiritual compass from which to be telling us the story in the first place. Does that make sense? It weighs on my heart. It hurts.

Gab