Monday, May 26, 2008

Our Two Biggest Sins

I couldn't find the biblical passage, but it says that the Israelites were criticized for not serving God with joyfulness of heart - that was their downfall.

America's biggest downfall is breaking the first two commandments: not loving God with all our hearts, and having other gods before God.

It's just so easy when you get a hold of the fact that God is everything you need, and you just seek Him as the source of your supply. But so many do not passionately pursue God, and let other things take His place.

A huge problem I have found is that when I have hungered and thirsted passionately for God, it was so hard to get enough of God to satisfy me, because I went to places where there were other people hungry for God, but then I would have to go back home, where people were still lukewarm and ambivalent towards God, and it was hard to inspire them to join in the fervor and passion that I had.

And, back home, I couldn't continue to feed and satisfy the hunger and thirst that I had. So, I ended up just sort of putting my hunger and thirst on hold, so to speak. I know it's still there but I don't follow it or let it rule me, yet I wonder if I should listen to it more.

Man, people. I think this will be our American legacy, if we lose our precious country - that we didn't love God with all our hearts!

1 And God spoke all these words, saying:
2 “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.
4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. - Exodus 20: 1-6

But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." John 6:68
You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Psalm 16:11

No comments: