Saturday, August 2, 2008

David, the neighbor boy

This will be a prayer request for David. He's 14 (but he looks 10,) and he showed up at my house one day when I was mowing the lawn and requested to mow the lawn in my place. He said he needed the exercise and that sounded like a good idea. I asked my parents if it would be OK and my mom said I should just keep an eye on him. Well, right she was. He is this heavy, overweight kid who is just kind of slow. He couldn't mow right. He couldn't mow one row and then mow the next so that all the grass was cut. He left grass in between rows. It was a mess.

I had to direct him to go back over the missed grass. He was going to do the whole lawn, but got too tired. He asked to quit early and asked to be paid half the $10.00 that he'd asked for the whole job. He said he was going to use it to go have a coffee at a coffee shop. Man! If that's any indicator of what kids are like today! He said he's been drinking coffee since he was 8 or 9 because his dad got him started.

There's a lot of stuff out there about kids today, and concern over their development and their future. it's a little scary. On the other hand, it seems like it's designed to scare us, instead of focus on all the healthy kids out there, and all the healthy, natural instincts that kids have that will ultimately survive.

Please pray for David, that he will have a "future and a hope."

I ran into him again the other day walking down the street. I was in my car so it was a little awkward - an adult in a car pulling up next to a kid to say "hi." He was doing kid stuff. I asked him how he was and he said "not good." That was all.

Hopefully, he was just exaggerating in a child's way. Who knows?

No comments: