Sunday, August 24, 2008

Responding yet again to Penny....

Thanks for the last email. Sorry if I'm not listening to the subtle things you're saying. I was surprised to hear you say that you really mean that Obama's views on abortion are enough to keep you from voting for him. That's the way I'm feeling too. There are certain things that just sour me on a candidate. Like McCain. If he is truly a racist and is against Martin Luther King Jr day, then I'm soured on him. Certain things are just unacceptable!

The problem with some of this is I'm not sure of what I'm hearing yet if it's true. Obama's stand on abortion he has made clear. The stuff on McCain is hearsay so far. It hasn't been broadcast to the general public, so you wonder why the general media hasn't picked it up and made a big deal out of it, like they always do.

My mother and I discuss the things that come out in the media and none of this stuff has come out. I have heard something about McCain's temper but nothing specific. Strange.

I guess time will tell.

In the mean time, I am definitely at a loss. I figure I'll just give McCain the benefit of the doubt and still end up voting for him, acknowledging that he is far from perfect.

But it's starting to depress me......

6 comments:

billgraver said...

It's been interesting watching your dialog with Penny about this issue.

I'm also torn up about what to do. For me, the one important issue is the lives of unborn babies. I will never vote for a person who thinks murdering babies is alright, much less somebody who actually supports this genocide.

I'm disappointed in the Republicans because they can't seem to find a good candidate. I also won't vote for the Democrats because of the Life issue.

I think it's an awesome thing that our country is finally open to the idea of electing an African-American President. But my question is: with all the great people of integrity to choose from, why did they choose FREAKIN' OBAMA???? Ugh!!! Why not choose a great man like Colin Powell, or even Condi Rice?

Gabrielle Eden said...

I'm totally with you. When we finally come to having a black candidate, then it's B. Hussein Obama! A man trained in a Muslim school! What are we thinking?

Lea said...

Gabrielle,

Obama did not train in a Muslim school! He attended a Catholic school in Indonesia for a couple of years, and then a public school. The majority of students (and I'd assume faculty as well) at the public school were Muslims -- to be expected in the nation where Islam is the dominant religion. If I recall correctly, his mom sent him to live with his grandparents in Hawaii when he was in 4th grade because she was concerned that he wasn't getting an adequate education in Indonesia.

The CNN documentary "Obama Revealed" gives the info on Obama's education in the early years.

Gabrielle Eden said...

So, he was raised with Muslims. That means something. He's had a strong Muslim influence, including his father, his association with Farrakhan and his pastor for twenty years has had some kind of Muslim ties.

Gabrielle Eden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabrielle Eden said...

I deleted my dumb comment about going to a Catholic school with Muslims. Obviously I wasn't paying attention. He went to a public school with Muslims. I said in that comment that he came out of this being influenced by Islam without a passionate commitment to Islam. But he doesn't seem committed to any religion.