Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sarah Palin's RNC Speech

I'm aware that no matter how much I like Sarah, and no matter how much other conservatives like her, and no matter how much sense she makes, that there are those who look at her critically and negatively. Her speech was awesome. She said what needs to be said about Obama. Read here one person's blog called Freedom Eden (sounds like mine) some good thoughts on her speech.

Now I have time to write more about her. As a woman I have all sorts of mixed feelings. For one, there's the tendency towards jealousy. She's nine years younger than me. Wow! She has five children, she's beautiful, she's a governor for crying out loud! She represents everything that mental illness has taken away from me - everything that I haven't been able to do with my life. But, because I have eternal life, and because only "one life will soon be past, and only what's done for Christ will last," I have a different perspective than the usual world view. And because of her values, and her vivacious, energetic spirit, I love her.

Also, I have learned to grant women the right to have offices that once belonged to men. My dentist is a woman. I was in a church for two and a half years where the senior and assistant pastors were women. My psychiatrist is a woman and so is her nurse/psychiatrist.

She is a governor, and a good one, governing one of our prized states - Alaska - a state known for its vast natural resources and loved as a tourist spot. She has a good reputation. Viewing her family and learning about it, that her 17 year old daughter is marrying the boy who got her pregnant and not aborting, that the young man is mature enough to marry her and to face the entire nation with his "shame" and be a part of the family, is nothing short of impressive.

Because of Obama, I was thinking that being in one's 40s was too young for being a president, or a vice-president, but because of her, I now realize that it's not the age that is the concern but the lack of experience, as in the case of Obama.

As for Obama bashing....she wasn't "bashing" him. It's a far different thing to be trying to say to the American people "wake up and smell the coffee!" regarding this man that they are enamored of. Here's an example of something she said regarding Obama that could be regarded as Obama bashing:

I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a "community organizer," except that you have actual responsibilities. I might add that in small towns, we don't quite know what to make of a candidate who lavishes praise on working people when they are listening, and then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when those people aren't listening.

We tend to prefer candidates who don't talk about us one way in Scranton and another way in San Francisco.

4 comments:

billgraver said...

I was stunned by that speech. I tend to be very cynical about politicians but Sarah Palin really hit me as a genuinely sincere person. I actually believed that she is not just a typical "I'll-say-or-do-anything-for-my-own-benefit" politician.

I haven't had that feeling from a public figure since Reagan back in the day.

No wonder the Dems are full of hatred right now. She's the person who can take on their little Golden Boy

Gabrielle Eden said...

I had a good guffaw over your comment "their little Golden Boy." If only laughter didn't lead to downright fear over what that boy could do to destroy us!!!!!

Guitarman said...

I'll be sure to tune into I'm free now for all my election coverage. I'm liking Palin moreso than McCain. Don't know if thats good. She seems to be a woman to be revered.

Gabrielle Eden said...

Only problem is, I may let you down. I didn't report on Norm Coleman or Tim Pawlenty, because I didn't watch their speeches. I was working.

I'm liking Palin more than McCain too.