Monday, September 29, 2008

War And Worship

Chapter 5 in "Our Eyes Fixed On Jesus"
Chevreau talks about dependence upon the Lord in fighting our battles against evil, sin, darkness. Isaiah, he says, repeatedly warns against those who "rely upon horses, who put their trust in chariots...but do not look to the Holy One of Israel." The prophet is insistent: the people of God must attend to a warfare of worship: "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength." Similarly, the psalmist declares that it is the Lord who "puts an end to war; he breaks the bow, he snaps the spear, he burns the shield in the fire." God's people are very clearly recruited in the fight, but the marching orders are other worldly: "be still and know that I am God."

"The battle is the Lord's."

"This is the word of the Lord to you: Do not fear or be dismayed by this great horde, for the battle is in God's hands, not yours. Go down to engage them tomorrow...{but}it is not you who will fight this battle; stand firm and wait and you will see the deliverance worked by the Lord for you."

I am involved in helplessly seeking the Lord to truly love my father. I feel that I do not really love him from the heart but that I cannot truly love him in myself, so I am going to God using communion to cleanse my heart and asking for the power to be rid of the sin of lack of mercy towards my father. I am coming in helplessness to God, asking for His power. This is what pleases God. We rely completely on God.

No comments: