Monday, September 8, 2008

Why Can't We Have Balance?


I was afraid of this. My mom's cousin and brother bring up this issue of balance. Palin goes too far to the right on abortion. She says she would not even grant an abortion if her daughter was raped! Why can't we have balance? What we had before Roe vs. Wade was good. This was the atmosphere of the early sixties. Women were allowed an abortion in the case of rape or incest. I don't think we should be having women giving birth in those cases. I don't think babies conceived through incest should be born, particularly. Oh, my heart and mind cry out for the sense of balance that is missing.

I thought I'd better leave this part in, or the comments don't make sense. My mom's cousin said that he believes abortion is murder, but that it's better to choose to murder a child in that way than slowly murder a child by raising it in poverty or in abuse. Now, sometimes, you just know you are dealing with someone whose mind is made up and there is no sense arguing with them. Jim is 75 years old.

And sometimes, you want so badly to agree with them (you are spending a weekend at their cabin and they are showering much hospitality on you), you look for the least bit of a parallel between your beliefs. I told him that my beliefs parallel his in that I believe abortion is murder too, but that I believe it's right in the case of rape and incest. He said, "OK, so there are cases where you believe it's murder too, but one has to make a difficult choice."

I said, "Yes," but that's not exactly what I meant. The bible says "thou shall not murder," but at the same time it says there is a time to kill. I guess that I believe that killing a child in the womb in these extreme cases is not murder.

Anyway, the point I was making was about forbidding abortion in any and all cases. Wow!

One of the problems with this extreme kind of right-wing thinking is that it destroys the support that could come from those who lean to the left, which is what McCain was hoping for I believe.

7 comments:

Bike Bubba said...

Was Jesus murdered by growing up poor in Egypt and Nazareth? Or John Wesley, or Isaac Newton, or any number of other people who grew up poor?

Did He say "cursed are the poor" on the Mount?

We so quickly agree to the world's logic....it's not always God's.

Gabrielle Eden said...

I know. My mom's cousin's views on this are "out there." I only really feel that abortion is right in the case of incest or rape. I need to re-word it and say that I don't agree but that he was explaining his views to me, and I understood where he was coming from, even though I don't agree.

Gabrielle Eden said...

Notice I eliminated, for the sake of making my point, the bit about my mom's cousin and abortion in the case of poverty. It's not what I believe.

Besides, he failed to bring up the possibility of adoption.

Hammerswing75 said...

As a technical matter, and I'm avoiding the moral question so that I can focus on facts without injecting my opinion, you needn't be worried. A strongly anti-abortion Supreme Court could overturn Roe v. Wade, but that decision would return America to the status quo, circa 1972, when individual states decided their own abortion laws. Overturning Roe v. Wade would not illegalize abortion. It would simply give states the opportunity to do so.

Gabrielle Eden said...

Glad you're still around, Ben, even though you shut down your blog!

Guitarman said...

The problem I see with the last several republican candidates is that they try to appeal to the middle ground. The country wants change. they're not going to get it by voting for McCain, Obama or Bush. Reagan was a strong conservative and yet appealed to the mass majority. Really both parties are floundering around the middle.

Gabrielle Eden said...

Maybe you're right, guitarman. I wasn't advocating just making up ideas to appeal to both sides, either. I just meant that if there is any place where you can agree at all, or any territory you can share because you can agree, then that's positive.

I don't want to get wishy-washy or water down my stand on right and wrong.

I don't know if it's possible to find common territory with liberals, however.