Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama Crash

I can't describe what I'm feeling today, but I probably don't have to describe it, because you might be feeling the same thing. When I heard Obama won I said, "no, God, no! We can't have more abortion. We can't have more of the sin in your face than we have had already. We can't have the corruption in the White House that this is going to bring."

When I went to the after party for one of the local candidates in my district, people were looking up at the TV that was airing the news about Obama and one man just said, "ish!" That summed it up for me!

This momentous decision and "change" that the American people have brought upon themselves force us to make these adjustments in our lives:

We must cling more closely to our brothers and sisters in Christ. We must band together and pray more often and fellowship more fervently.

We must go to God and examine our hearts for sin in our lives, for anything that grieves Him. We must come clean of anything that obstructs the Holy Spirit in our lives.

I worked as a poll challenger yesterday and knew that I am basically in a blue state that always votes in the Democrat. I was getting angry knowing that most of the people were going to make Obama president and at one point, full fledged hatred came out of me towards this one young black man as I thought of how he was probably voting for Obama and was helping make him president. I just thought of how my heart was all wrong, and how I was going to have to go home and deal with God on that issue later on that night. That's all I could think of when Obama became president - that I still need to be fixed on the inside. I think that's what we need to focus on - our need for repentance and cleansing.

Here is the text that my parents and I read this morning. It's about God's shelter for the righteous in times of great trial. Psalm 91. it brings tears to my eyes.

Safety of Abiding in the Presence of God
1 He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.”

3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler[a]
And from the perilous pestilence.
4 He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
6 Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
8 Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.

9 Because you have made the LORD, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
10 No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
11 For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
12 In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.
13 You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.

14 “Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him on high, because he has known My name.
15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him,
And show him My salvation.”

People of God - more than ever, we must stand together!

3 comments:

Gabrielle Eden said...

My sister Louise says isaiah 48 is good too.

Kim and Chris said...

Gabrielle, I've been dealing with similar feelings in the wake of the election results. It is dismaying, but I was encouraged (and challenged) by Albert Mohler's blog post on the subject. I blogged about it this morning. I think you are right that we must stand together as Christians, covering each other, our nation, our leaders and the world in fervent prayer. --Kim

Gabrielle Eden said...

Thanks Kim, I'll read that!