Sunday, December 14, 2008

Depressed This Christmas?

This season can bring on the worst case of the blues. Remember Isaiah 61 - he binds up and heals the brokenhearted. I feel it coming on again and always know that there is the force of so many out there feeling the same thing. Seek God. Find a shelter in God. Go to a person of God you trust for counsel. Take out the Bible and start reading the gospels. Read Matthew to start and go all the way through. Spend time praying and asking God for help. Believe he will meet you. Go to a church that you trust. Sing songs of worship and pray there. Meet other Christians and don't isolate yourself. God has the answer.

5 comments:

Helen said...

I remember being depressed the first Christmas without my dad. He had died 6 months earlier, and I couldn't find any joy in anything "Christmasy". I was able to rejoice in knowing that we share a Saviour, whose birth we were commemorating, but the songs and the decorations only made me sad.
Last year, two former students of mine died (not related to each other), and again I was depressed, this time because I felt so sad for the families who lost daughters and sisters. I prayed that while they would not be able to find joy in the carols, and decorations, and food, etc, they would find comfort in knowing that they shared a Saviour and would be reunited in Heaven thanks to Him.
I think that sometimes the glitz is what makes Christmas sad for some. If Christmas was treated more as a Religous holy day, and less like a holiday that celebrates happiness for the sake of happiness, it would be easier and even pleasant for people who are finding it depressing. I could be wrong though. It has happened once or twice....

Sherri said...

Good tips!

Gabrielle Eden said...

Helen, you are a treasure. Well, so are you Sherri, but Helen, but in that comment, you put a lot into your love and you're right - I think Christmas gets depressing because there is this celebrating going on and it's for the haves while the have-nots are left out.

TREY MORGAN said...

Gabrielle,

Loved looking around your blog this morning. This is an excellent place to find encouragment. Thanks for the time you put in here ... and I'll be back again.

Blessings,

Trey

Gabrielle Eden said...

Trey - that is a huge complement coming from you! You have an awesome blog! Thanks and I'll be visiting your blog too!