Monday, December 8, 2008

Me And The Christmas Spirit

It always starts the same way. Christmas rolls around and I think,"here it is again, oh brother." I am the worst Scrooge.

It's partly because of feeling left out of the things that make Christmas special. I have a good family - brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, and parents still alive. But I don't have a family of my own, and sometimes that bites. My only family of my own is the animal you see pictured here. He is my child! Sad! But I make do with what I have, and I'm thankful for what I have, and grateful for life itself.

And all of the sudden, Christmas gets a hold of me. Suddenly, I fall in love with Christmas. The songs become a joy and I look for an excuse to go out and shop some more for gifts. I feel happy that I live where we have snow, and I start to get in the swing of the ski season and I'm off cross country skiing practically every night.

I start making contributions to causes and start preparing my Christmas shoebox. I think: if it takes my whole paycheck, so be it! I start thinking about getting together with people less fortunate than me.

Yes, Christmas is here! Hallelujah!

No comments: