Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Answer to Materialism

I decided to read Acts Chapter 2 today, because I remembered that Christian group named after the chapter, and it's all about pentecost, and it describes the craziness that happens to people - the wonderful craziness that takes over, when the Holy Spirit makes you fall in love with God and people and you just don't care about "things" anymore.

It says: (verse 43)

Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles. 44 And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common; 45 and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need. 46 Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.

In America, if people were taken over the God's spirit and the spirit of love, it would take away an excessive desire for material things.

4 comments:

sherri said...

You are so right.

Can you even imagine a world free from it?

Gabrielle Eden said...

Oh Sherri - my faithful commenter. Ever feel alone?

Helen said...

True. Why do we always want more? How much of our consumerism stems from breaking the commandment "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods". All, cards on the table, I am guilty of that, too. How much of what I buy do I need, and how much is because I liked it when someone else had it?

Gabrielle Eden said...

My cousin, the brother of the cousin I hang out with is also in the medical field and also has money. (My cousin I hang out with is a doctor.)

He got a face lift and now has a scar running all around his head - over the top of his head and behind his ears. He looked just fine before it, and it's an example of the crazy things people do when they have the money to do them.

I just pray if I ever have a lot of money that I won't squander it but will use it well, like to rescue the poor.

But I agree, Helen, I am guilty too, so I'm not pointing fingers.