Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Burt Rosenberg's April Fool's Joke


Dearly Beloved You-ness,

While I do not consider myself a classically-trained actor, per se, I do acknowledge that there is a certain thespian aspect to getting up and Spritzing Truth in front of people. I understand that. No problem there.

But, I must say, I was totally unprepared for what happened two weeks ago.

A New York director, Joel Schumacher (from the Broadway producton of "Phantom of the Opera"), came to one of my Joy Seminars. I didn't know he was coming. And I didn't know he was there.

In retrospect, it's probably better that I didn't know he was there, if you know what I mean.

Afterward, Mr. Schumacher came back afterward, introduced himself, and said that I was recommended to him, and he wanted to see me. Wow.

Here's how it happened: Unbeknownst to me, someone sent in a letter and photograph of me to the London offices of Andrew Lloyd Webber. (Not the "professional" photo at the top of this email, but just a natural, impromptu picture somebody took one day.)

Andrew Lloyd Webber's people sent it to Joel in NY. When he saw it, he said he "had a sense" that I was a guy who could "BE" The Phantom. That there was "a natural affinity" for the character. I wasn't sure how to take that comment, but chose to receive it in a positive way.

I did see "Phantom" several years ago, at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Although, on the night I saw it, there was a terrible accident in the theater. A big chandellier fell down and almost crushed about 80 people in a section of the audience. Fortunately, no one was hurt, and the tradition of "the show must go on" prevailed.

But, I never really had ambitions of performing in a Broadway show. But, if this is what God wants, I am always open to new opening doors opening. And this is a big new opening door. And it is opening. And I am open to that.

Joel says a firm offer is forthcoming. If so, I have a big decision to make. Do I join a "secular" show? Or do I continue traveling doing ministry events & Joy Seminars, flying "under the radar"?

Anyway, I've taken the liberty to attach that same photograph. I'm not sure what they saw in it. I'm not objective. Maybe you could take a look and let me know what you think. Let me know if you can see what Andrew Lloyd Webber's people saw. I don't want to make a fool of myself. I covet your advice on this...

Thank you.

Your friend,
Burt

P.S.
Sorry the photo in the attachment is positioned sideways. But, just cock your head to the left a little bit. Thanks!

When I wrote to him and advised him to "go for it" he wrote back and said "April Fools!"

No comments: