Monday, May 4, 2009

Faith is...

the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1
…based on a book by Pamela Reeve

Faith Is…

…the conviction of realities I cannot see or feel.

…not a leap in the dark, or a mystical experience, or an indefinable encounter with someone,

-but trust in One who has explained Himself in a Person – Christ, in an historical record – the Bible.

…the handle by which I take God’s promises and apply them to my particular problems.

…remembering I am indispensable to God when I feel I only clutter up the landscape.

…allowing God to straighten the record when false things have been said about me.

…doing the right thing regardless of the consequences, knowing God will turn the ultimate effect to good.

…confidence in God when money is running out, not rolling in.

….remembering that in the kingdom of God everything is based on promise, not on feeling.

…rejecting the feeling of panic when things seem out of control – His control.

…refusing the thinking that God loves and cherishes the popular, attractive, talented Christian ,more than He loves and cherishes plain me.

…remembering I am God’s priceless treasure when I feel utterly worthless…

realizing what God is going to do through me will be on the basis of
miracle not man power,
His promise
not my goodness.

…expecting God to accomplish miracles…

through “little old me” with my five loaves and two fishes.

…dependence on God to work miracles in my
disposition…

thanking God when I want to complain.

…committing loved ones’ problems to God to solve.

…recognizing that God is the LORD OF TIME when my idea of timing doesn’t agree with His.

…the assurance that God is perfecting His design for me when my life’s course,
once a swift-flowing current
seems a stagnant pool.

…confidence in God’s faithfulness to me in an uncertain world,
on an uncharted course,
through an unknown future.

…reliance on the certainty that God has a pattern for my life
when everything seems meaningless…

…resting in the fact that God has an objective in leaving me on the scene
when I feel useless to Him and a burden to others.

…expecting a sea of golden grain from the bleak, barren, endless fields –
watered only by my tears –
where I walk alone.

…claiming God’s strength to endure pain – patiently.

…depending on the fact that God is love, not on my ability to figure out WHY.

…confidence that God is acting for my highest good when He answers
“No” to my prayers.

…thanking God when I am left with shattered plans,
that He has better plans.

…rejoicing in the eternal glory accumulating from my temporary troubles.

…refusal to worry when I haven’t a clue
as to what God would have me to do with my life.

…appreciating that my capacity to feel,
think
choose,
communicate,
achieve,
create,
commune with God comes from His making me like Himself.

…acknowledging God as the giver of abilities
when success is mine.

…thanking God for His gift of emotional health, not assuming it all
stems from my ability to cope with life.

…standing on the fact that God has designed me flawlessly
for His purposes in the universe
when I feel everything about me
is one big mistake.

…something God will prove genuine
by testing.

…developed through:
hardship
disappointment
disillusionment
conflict
frustration
failure
loss-

-not through:
stained glass
nor sweet religious props.

…fantasy-like, unless it is made real
in the way I interact with people.

…cooperating with God in changing me,
rather than taking refuge in piously
berating myself.

…not related to my believing hard enough,
nor my emotional exhilaration or flatness,
but rests on what God guarantees in His word.

…not faith in faith itself,
but faith in the
-FACTS of Scripture
-FACT of Christ’s death
-FACT of His resurrection.

…not a vague hope of a happy hereafter,
but an assurance of heaven
based on my trust in Christ’s death
as payment for my sins.

…refusing to feel guilty over PAST confessed sins,
when God, the judge, has sovereignly declared me –
‘PARDONED.’

…realizing that God is the God of NOW,
carrying on His purposes even in the tedious and boring
moments of my life.

…ceasing to worry, leaving the FUTURE to
the God who controls the future.

…the WAY to please God.

Here is one of my own:

Faith is…not giving up when waiting on a promise that God seems to have forgotten.

Do you have any of your own?

Here's my latest entry - from Crystal cafe in Minneapolis:

Faith is...not believing that God can, but that He will.















No comments: