Friday, July 10, 2009

Powerhouse

I don't usually wear my volunteer work on my sleeve. But I just wanted to share with you one creative way that I have dealt with my own childlessness in the past and how I am dealing with it now.

I love middle school age kids. It is an age when people are still kids, yet they are old enough to carry on an intelligent conversation. They are full of life and they are very open to the gospel. They are not yet at the age of being too sophisticated for adults, and they are more accepting of you, faults and all.

I have been volunteering at a hangout for middle school age teens that is run by a local evangelical church. It has been truly rewarding. I don't have any pictures, and it has been shut down now until the end of August, but when it is up and running again, I'll share some pictures. Oops - I have promised pictures in the past and then not come through. What about that one of me as a standup?

2 comments:

Matt @ The Church of No People said...

I too love that age group. I'm a little sad because I got moved from 8th graders down to 3-5th graders for this coming school year. I'm hoping to make it all the way up to high school someday. :)

Gabrielle Eden said...

High School is tough. Then they're just too cool for you. Middle school rocks as far as I'm concerned. So, you had 8th grade. That's cool. I hope for you the best. 3-5th should be pretty interesting too!