Friday, October 30, 2009

Don't Throw Out The Baby With The Bathwater

Someone just gave me a booklet that Dodie Osteen wrote about her healing from cancer. It is an amazing story of faith and victory over disease. She is the evangelist's wife that Herb Mjorud talked about when he explained that he was inspired to speak out scriptures on healing each morning in order to obtain his healing from cancer as well.

Dodie Osteen is Joel Osteen's mother. I wrote about Joel Osteen and I just want to make clear since I have written about more than one minister who seems to be infected with the love of money and has compromised the pure gospel because of it, that there is more to them than meets the eye.

Joel was raised by godly parents, and Dodie has a real and vital faith which saved her from death. Joel's foundation through his parents was definitely solid and biblical. I just don't know what happened.

Mac Hammond teaches many good things on healing and faith and does many good things for people. And I wouldn't want to discredit him or throw out the many good things about his ministry just because of the emphasis on money that I found at his church.

We need unity in the body of Christ. If or when persecution comes, people like Joel Osteen and Mac Hammond will be targeted and subject to persection, and I hate to think that any of us, fellow members of the body of Christ would be happy to see them hurt in any way.

2 comments:

Don in Texas said...

I listen to Joel all the time and he doesn't talk about money very much. Joel says that once you believe in Jesus, your relationship with God changes and that God sees you as His child and that God wants the best for his children. God desires to bless those who belong to Him with good health and a good family and that God cares about every part of your life -- even the little stuff. But even then, I have never heard Joel say that God wants us to be rich. I've heard critical people claim that Joel says that, but he doesn't. I don't think those critical people really watch Joel -- they hate him too much -- and so they don't really know what he says. They just hear someone else say that Joel loves money and they repeat it.
If Joel preached that the purpose of our life was to be rich, I wouldn't watch him either. But, he has never said anything like that.

Gabrielle Eden said...

Hi Don! I was just so impressed by his mother's testimony of healing from cancer, and realized that there is something here to contend with, if one wants to merely write Joel off.