Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Christian Bashing

Since it so in vogue to bash Christians, it is not surprising to find a cartoon on the editorial page of the Minneapolis Star/Tribune that does the same.

It is a cartoon by L.K. Hanson and he has a quote above it by Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) Irish playwright and writer:

"I have never come across anyone in whom the MORAL SENSE was dominant who was not heartless, cruel, vindictive, log-stupid and entirely lacking in the smallest sense of humanity."

The cartoon is of a woman with her mouth wide open, showing her mercury fillings, and these are the words coming out of her mouth:

"I'm always right and I never lie"
"Feminists have ruined things for ladies like me"
"My religion is the only true religion"
"The sixties have caused the collapse of society"
"The gays are taking over"

This is all thought-provoking. Clearly, the group of people being targeted is Christians, and the conservatives.

The quote makes no sense. A moral sense precludes the negative things that he mentions. A moral sense ought to make you much more humane, much less heartless, should take away cruelty and vindictiveness, etc.

What makes him say these things? And he wrote them back in the end of the 19th century.

And what makes L.K. Hanson write the things he writes coming out of her mouth? "I'm always right and I never lie." Truly, if any says "I'm always right" it comes from pride. Saying "I never lie" is also prideful and never true.

And maybe the way Christians have dealt with some of the other issues hasn't been godly, such as the way they defend the truth, or the way they deal with sin problems such as homosexuality.

Though I was initially annoyed by the cartoon and the quote, this caused me to reflect on ways that Christians have failed to love and to live out the life of Jesus.

It's something to think about.

No comments: