Sunday, July 1, 2007

A Miracle Of Sleep

Here is another miracle I ought to report. I had terrible insomnia after 9/11. I didn't sleep almost for 6 months - I know it sounds impossible but a human is capable of having a lot of insomnia before anything really bad happens. I was hospitalized and put on drugs. 9/11 had a terrible effect on me.

I later went to the Word of God. My cousin's wife talked about a missionary friend who went to the Word and read it when he couldn't sleep. I did the same. I highlighted scriptures on sleep. I put the words 'sleep' and 'rest' above those passages in my bible so I could find them easily as I flipped through my bible each night.

Psalm 3:5,6
I lay down and
slept
I awoke, for the Lord sustained me.
I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around.

Psalm 4:8
I will both lie down in peace and
sleep, for You alone O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 116:7
Return to your
rest, O my soul, for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.

Psalm 127: 1,2
Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it. Unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows; for so He gives His beloved
sleep.

Proverbs 3:24
When you lie down you will not be afraid. Yes, you will lie down and your
sleep will be sweet.

Isaiah 57: 2
He shall enter into
peace. They shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness.

Jeremiah 31: 25,26
“For I have satiated the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul.” After this I awoke and looked around and my
sleep was sweet to me.

Matthew 11: 28-30
“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you
rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

These are most of them.

Today, I sleep like a baby, without sleep medication. I've had good sleep for a couple of years now. I read the bible every night and every morning, flipping through my bible, looking for whatever stands out.

I slept right through menopause - hardly noticed it was happening to me until later I realized, "oh, that must have been it." You're supposed to have sleep problems because of it - night sweats and insomnia, but not me.

I used to have trouble sleeping at different people's houses, needing to be in my own bed, but since this miracle have slept in countless places not my own, including campgrounds in a tent, and now sleep at my parents' which I used to not be able to.

God does these things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the work may be after instead of before something bad happens like 9/11.. although some dont sleep before either.. thanks.

jonathan said...

I did a google search for "scriptures for sleep and rest" for my father and your page came up. He's gone through a lot in the past few months and restless nights have been normal. God's word is alive and I expect this compilation of scriptures to work...God's word does not return void! :) Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Gabrielle Eden said...

Jonathan - I am so glad these helped you! I am changing the font on this post so it's easier to read. Bless u!