Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'm a Limerick

I'm English, not Irish, so I'm supposed to be at war with the Irish, but Sherri has me going with these Limericks. They're just great. They have a certain rhythm and when you get started you can't stop making them. Her husband, Murphy, is Irish, so she has us writing Limericks over at her blog.

Limericks are explained this way:

A limerick is a five-line poem written with one couplet and one triplet. If a couplet is a two-line rhymed poem, then a triplet would be a three-line rhymed poem. The rhyme pattern is a a b b a with lines 1, 2 and 5 containing 3 beats and rhyming, and lines 3 and 4 having two beats and rhyming. Some people say that the limerick was invented by soldiers returning from France to the Irish town of Limerick in the 1700's.

But it's better to just listen to one and get the rhythm.

Here are some Limericks:

There was a young girl from Oliver,
And all the men did follow her,
Until a guy came along,
And played her his song,
And all the rest quit call'n her.

There was a young hunter named Shepherd
Who was eaten for lunch by a leopard.
Said the leopard, "Egad!
You'd be tastier, lad
If you had been salted and peppered!"

Now here are some of my own:

There once was a lady named Eden
who had a blog about freedom
she blogged all day
she blogged feeling gay
she blogged til the Lord's kingdom come

There's a fuzzy big cat named Buddy
and his coat is ever so ruddy
he never eats mice
and his coat has no lice
and he sure beats havin' a hubby

Try it! It's so much fun!

4 comments:

sherri said...

I didn't know we were supposed to be at war, so I'm glad we at peace!

Great Limericks!

Aren't they fun?

Guitarman said...

Here's one I wrote in 5th grade. Not sure what Sister Marion thought of this though.

There was a female marine that I knew.
She ocassionaly indulged in a chew.
When she spat in a can.
Down her chin it did ran.
I hoped she gets shipped to Beirut.

Gabrielle Eden said...

They sure are! Thanks for the idea, Sherri!

That's an interesting Limerick - ha! Guitarman! sister Marion - you were raised Catholic?

Guitarman said...

I attended catholic grade school. I loved my catholic sister teachers and the lay teachers we had. I can still see them in my mind.